Thursday, March 25, 2010

Ready Or Not...

March 25, 2010 -

Today I leave for Oceanside, CA to compete this Saturday in the Rhoto Ironman 70.3 Oceanside. This will be my fifth 70.3 distance race. To date, I have gotten faster with each race and we will see if I can do it again. I have trained for only six weeks for this race do to some injury, but am as ready as I can be. What I'm lacking physically, I can more than make up for with mental dominance.

After last Thursday's 12 mile run, I took off Friday, Saturday and Sunday. This wasn't my intention, but just how things worked out. I wouldn't say it was totally off however. I mowed the yard, did more remodel working the kitchen, had a garage sale and a general house overhaul. All this includes lots of pushing, pulling and hauling. I broke a few sweats.

Monday I hit the pool for a 2500 yard swim. I did a 500 warm-up with mixed swim, kick, pull followed by a 1 x 2000. This swim went really well and I hit 2000 yards somewhere in between 31 and 32 minutes.

Tuesday I went out for one last long bike, which ended up being a great confidence booster for several reasons. I got a flat 30 minutes into the ride (rear tire), which I changed no problem. There were wicked winds, which I managed, and I dominated the hills that gave me problems the last time I did this ride. For the icing on the cake, it was sunny and 60! I finished with 52 miles at 18.2 mph avg in a time of 2:51.

Wednesday I did a short 30 minute run at tempo and then headed to the pool to kick out and easy 1000 yard...but I forgot my jammers...bah.

Finished up race prep with a nice buzz cut, silky smooth leg shave and a thorough bike and chain clean. All packed up and ready to go.

What's done is done now...and ready or not...here I race!

1 comment:

  1. Best of luck. Look forward to reading the race report once done. Particularly impressed given the short lead in time

    ReplyDelete