Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Train...Feed...Sleep...Repeat

March 16, 2010 -

Well training continues to come along as I rapidly approach race week. Last week in Vegas I managed to get up early the first day for a 60 minute interval bike. The second day I made it down too, but only ended up with 10 minutes on the bike before getting called to a meeting so I added in a couple rounds of push-up and sit-ups and called it good. But that's what you get for waking up in Vegas:)

I took off Thursday to get caught back up at work and then hit a nice 1550 swim/45 min bike brick on Friday. The swim was a speed swim with every other 50 yards all out...phew...it was major tiring. The bike was also at the gym on med and hard intervals. Good workout.

Saturday I headed out for an eight mile run, which outside of a sore knee, went really well. It was the first time I have ran recently where I was finally able to get into the zone. I hit eight miles in 1:04:50 for an average pace of 8:06 per mile. Here are my mile times: 7:50, 8:05, 8:04, 8:38, 8:03, 7:54, 7:42, 8:28. (Can you tell, which two miles were all uphill?)

I would like to say I took Sunday off, but after helping a friend move (probably the heaviest stuff I have ever lifted) followed by an all day kitchen remodel/painting project...I was pooped.

Started fresh on Monday with a beautiful day in Kirkland...68 degrees and sunny! I hit a bike/run brick. The bike was a 26 mile ride around Lake Sammamish at a 19.8 mph average followed by a five mile run, where I slowed down a little as the knee was feeling a little bothered. Probably averaged 8:30 pace? All in all....great brick.

Today I decided to really ramp up in the pool for a two-mile swim. The last time I went that distance was Ironman CDA last June! That's right, I'm back to two miles in the pool. That's 3500 yards, 70 laps, 140 lengths. I cranked out a 500 warm-up followed by 3 x 1000. The warm-up was a no brainer, but the first 1,000 was a struggle and a bit of a mental battle thinking about how much was left to swim. After that though, the last 2000 yards went great. I found my groove and cranked it out.

I have to say that as soon as I was done....I was starving!!! I've been finally getting back into that mode where food intake is a critical part of training. After that swim, I ate everything in sight and I'm sure I will sleep well tonight.

As for the rest of the week I would like to get in one more long run (12 miles) and one more long bike (50 miles). From there I will taper next week maintaining swimming and short bike's and runs. I'll take Thursday off and then probably do 10 minutes in each sport on Friday....then....race Saturday!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment