Thursday, June 11, 2009

Snot Rockets

June 11, 2009 -

Today was my last workout topping 3+ hours until the race. It was my last long bike. Only one problem.....boogs. I am being beat down by allergies hard core right now. I was on the bike sneezing and farmer blowing out a constant drain of snot. So so so annoying!

Then, when the ride was over, like I didn't get enough during the ride; the attack peaked. Sneeze, blow, sneeze, blow, sneeze, blow, rub eyes, repeat for an hour. So lame! My eyes were totally blood shot red and so itchy and the sneezing and runny nose...highly bothersome. Allergies are the worst.

I have also been progressively learning about my abilities as this Iroman training has progressed and one of them, which I was already aware of became evident today. I hate being on the bike for hours. I think three hours is my threshold for the bike. After that, I just don't want to be on it anymore.

I'm pretty certain full iron races are not going to be my thing. It's the same reason I had to stop doing marathons. 26.2 miles are just too hard on this six foot four inch, 200 pound frame. I always said I had one left in me and it would be for an Ironman...and this is it. Well, I've figured out the same thing on the bike too. After three hours, I just do not like being there.

I have enough in me to rock this Ironman like a 300 spartan, so don't get me wrong here. I am set to do what I trained to do and you can never say what you will desire to do afterward because it constantly evolves. 5k to 10k to half marathon to marathon to sprint tri to olympic to half iron to full iron to.......?

What I'm saying is, I think I have learned enough about myself to know that my favorite sports moving forward will most likely be half marathons and half ironmans. They both work perfectly in my competetive comfort zone.....but we'll see. You have to do them all to figure this out.

Day 162 Training Log - I had a four hour bike today, but the ride I did ended up finishing in 3.5 hours, which was fine with me as I was getting killed by allergies. I headed out of Redmond up through Redmond Ridge, down through Carnation, Duvall, Snohomish, Woodinville and back to Redmond. it was a good bike, just boring. I had an 18mph avg speed and it was mostly rolling hills with a few biggies. Now mostly just some swimming and running to go.

2 comments:

  1. What is bike etiquette when blowing a snotrocket? Do you really need to look behind before the blow. It will make me unaero when doing so. When I bike with friends, I'll look but come race time, isn't it every man/woman for him/herself? Advice please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha, I generally take a peek, but knowing how I ride...it's much safer for everyone if I keep my eyes on the road. I agree...come race day, anything goes!

    ReplyDelete