Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Shout Out to Customer Service

February 10, 2009 -

I had a bike/run on the schedule for today which got me thinking about my two favorite places to go for biking and running locally. It also got me thinking of all the ahole "I'm too experienced to share with you" shops around town.

If you are a casual athlete, or racer I'm guessing you don't know everything there is to know about bikes, and running shoes, and gear, and technique. I bet you also would love to get some helpful hints from time to time. So why is it that so many of the people that work at these bike and run shops are such d-bags?

It's intimidating enough for the casual person to go in to these places and try to get help; they don't need some "mightier than thou" sport geek treating them like an inferior species just because sport is only a small piece of their life and not ALL of it.

Which brings me to my point. It is so refreshing to go to a bike or run store and find staff that doesn't care who you are or what your experience level is. They just want to help you find the best product for your comfort and need. They spend time educating you, answering all of your questions, going the extra distance to engage you in your interest level and most importantly...making you feel like you too, can be a part of this sport.

This is why today I must tell you about the two coolest places I have found for the best possible customer service, great staff, and fantastic competitiveness. The first would be my bike/snowboard/ski store, which is Gerks Ski and Cycle in Redmond, WA. I have been going there asking dumb questions for a couple years now and it always turns into one of the best and most educational customer experiences I have ever had. I bought my bike there, I buy all my supplies there, and I will continue to take my business and referrals there.

The second store is my favorite place for running shoes and gear, which is The Everyday Athlete in Juanita, WA. I have been to so many running stores over the years buying shoes and gear and this one by far takes the cake. The people there go above and beyond to get you in the right pair of shoes. Educating you on the aspects of each, watching your stride and giving you advice and just plain-out spending time with you to help you make the best choice. Just as before, I will take my running business and referrals here every time.

Day 41 Training Log - Today's docket was for a 45 minute run and a 60 minute bike. I set the ol' alarmy for 6am and proceeded in an arctic zombie like state to the garage ghetto theater for a hour on the bike trainer. It was just too cold, windy, snowy, rainy today to head outdoors for that. I did all big ring work for 60 minutes switching four gears, alternating every five minutes and staying at the same cadence. I headed to the gym this afternoon for 45 minutes on the treadmill to a little Charlie's Angels in the cardio theater. I warmed up for 10 minutes at a 9 minute pace and finished the remaining 35 minutes at an 8 minute pace. I was feeling starving by the end and I had to pee real bad so I was happy to be done. Back again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment