Thursday, March 19, 2009

Hello Clarice

March 19, 2009 -

So today I was Clarice and Ironman training was my Hannibal. I was this smart, well trained, prepared athlete and the training was this deceiving, brilliant monster waiting for me to let my guard down so it could eat me with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

But neigh.....

I win.....barely.

I had a long workout today, a speed swim and a long run. In fact, it was my longest run since my last marathon, which was....geesh...like four or five years ago. I have run tons of half's since, but I forgot what starts to happen to your legs after 13 miles, after a speed swim, the day after hill repeats, two days after an hour run and a two hour bike etc....

Wa wa wa wa call the wambulance I know.

What I'm saying is today was a mentally challenging day, and my legs are feeling it now...but I finished it, came out ahead, and ate today's Ironman training up before it ate me.

Day 78 Training Log - So today was a 2500 yard speed day at the pool and a 2 hour run. The swim was a 350 warm-up with the last 50 in every hundred as kick, then the main swim was 10 x 200 EBEH (50 each of easy, build, easy, hard). This was challenging for me. The easy's were no problem, but the 50 yards of build and 50 yards of hard ten times was tough. Then, I finished with 6 x 25 cool down. Then I hit the trail for my two hour run. I was pretty cool until about 11 miles and then I felt my legs start to turn. I just grinded through the last four and ended at 2:05 with 15 miles at an 8:20 pace. It's funny because as I think these workouts may be hard at the time, I push myself to new levels and then the workouts are over just like that...and I am happy to be elevated to this new place. See you at the finish line.

No comments:

Post a Comment