Friday, January 2, 2009

Training for Ironman Starts with the New Year

Jan 1, 2009 –

First day of the New Year…the year of the Coeur D’Alene Ironman. Shelly (my wife) thought as I begin the journey I should log my training, thoughts, and experience to reflect on after the big race. 2008 was a year of a ton of races for me including a handful of 5k’s and three half marathons in Kirkland, Seattle, and Las Vegas.

What really took my time however were the triathlons. I completed my first Ironman 70.3 in Boise Idaho and followed that with another Ironman 70.3 in Lake Stevens Washington, which consisted of a 1.2mi swim, 56mi bike, and 13.1mi run. I also did an Olympic tri in Malibu
and a sprint tri in Kirkland.

It was after the half Ironman’s however that I decided I could not settle for just a half. I was determined and compelled to take it all the way to a full Ironman, which includes a 2.4mi swim, an 112mi bike, and a full 26.2mi marathon. This is quite possibly one of the most challenging athletic accomplishments known to man. So Yukon (college and race buddy) and I registered for the Coeur D’Alene Ironman to take place on June 21st 2009.

The race costs $550 and registration sold out shortly after it went on sale. This was a major topic of discussion around the household as the financial and time commitment to complete a full Ironman is great. I was determined to reach the top of athletic achievement for myself and Shelly has put her support behind me so here we go. Enjoy the journey.


Day 1 Training Log: took down the Christmas lights, cleaned up around the house, drank some beer and watched a movie. Don't want to start off too fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment