Tuesday, January 27, 2009

What a Drag

January 27, 2009 -

Today was a pool day. I packed running clothes this morning just in case it wasn't a pool day and I was just too tired to know it yet....but I planned on a dope swim. Well, by the time I got to the gym and had, in fact, decided it was a pool day, I realized something lame....I forgot my jammers...bah. (Highly important note: not me pictured...just an example of jammers.)

All I had in my gym bag was my Speedo drag shorts. If you don't know what these are, they are Speedos you would typically wear over your jammers or other shorts and their purpose is to cause extra drag in the water so you train harder through more resistance. Well, they look like a mesh pair of oversized granny panties with a small tight pair of Speedos underneath.

So I tried them on alone and....hell no! Was not happening which, I was bummed about because I actually was stoked for a killer swim. Well running clothes save the day. Because I had also packed for running, I had my Under Armour compression shorts in my gym bag so I tossed those on and then threw the drag swimmer over. The look itself was quite lame, revealing, and somewhat odd. But the swim....the swim was vindicating!

Day 27 Training Log - So if you have been following I swam three weeks ago for the first time in this reconditioning and started at 600 yards. The next week went to 1200 yards, and last week went to 1750. Today however, I hit 2200 yards which I felt very proud of because not only did I swim strong and focused on form....but I did the entire distance with those kooky drag shorts on. I definitely noticed the extra resistance and appreciated the challenge. The swim was all freestyle sets at a medium pace focusing on form. I did 1 x 400, 1 x 600, 1 x 1000, and a cool down of 1 x 200. After that.......spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment